SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#187949 - 02/19/05 07:58 AM 9000 Pro: "disk is full" HD error
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Has anyone else run into a problem with their 9000 Pro's hard drive saying it is full when it isn't?

My original 9000 Pro (of the two that I have) has a Toshiba 6.4 GB Notebook Hard Drive MK6411MAT partitioned into (3) 2 GB drives. I use HD_01 for my main directory of stage midi files. I have about 300 midi files in that directory... when I try to add another midi file now from a floppy I get an error that says "disk is full". Yet when I get information on that directory it says it has a lot of room left. The other directories work normally and I have no problems selecting/playing the midi files in the HD_01 directory... I just can't add any more to it.

I first ran into this problem about a month ago. I tried everything and managed to solve the problem temporarily by formatting the drive and replacing all the midi files. That worked for a while - I could add files normally - but now the 'disk is full" error has returned. I suspect the HD is failing slowly and I'm ordering a replacement. BTW: this problem has never appeared on my second 9000 Pro with the same HD installed, and both 9000 Pro's have the latest OS installed.

Anyone have this problem or ideas to fix it besides replacement?

#187950 - 02/19/05 08:47 AM Re: 9000 Pro: "disk is full" HD error
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I think the Hard Drive is indeed going south on you Jim. No offense to you southerners btw.

The replacement HD should do the trick.

Best regards,
Mike

#187951 - 02/19/05 08:54 AM Re: 9000 Pro: "disk is full" HD error
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Jim,
I had a 9000 pro with a hard disk installed; I seem to remember that there is a limit to the number of files you can store in a given directory. Try to store the midifile in another directory: if this does the trick, the disk is clearly not "full"...
What I did to overcome this problem was to store the midifiles in alphabetical order, like A-C, D-G, etc.
Hope this helps.

#187952 - 02/19/05 09:00 AM Re: 9000 Pro: "disk is full" HD error
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

This came in a couple years ago, and the problem was related to the number of styles stored in the HD's root directory, which is limited. Therefore, the solution is to create folders and move the files into folders, which if I recall from way back then, was limted to something just under 100 folders. Keep in mind, however, you can also create folders within folders, thus not overloading the HD's root directory.

The same problem exists, BTW, with the 3000s SMart Media Card, which also has a limited root directory.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#187953 - 02/19/05 09:10 AM Re: 9000 Pro: "disk is full" HD error
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
I have a 8gig hd in my pro, I store midi files by catagory in different folders, seems like vince cockran the provider of my drive estimated I could store over 50,000 midi's and 40,000 styles.
pose

#187954 - 02/19/05 08:29 PM Re: 9000 Pro: "disk is full" HD error
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks guys. Interestingly enough, I was able to transfer all of my midi file from the problem partition to another partition. I could even add more files to the partition. I then formatted the faulty partition and transferred the files back - no problem. I can now add files too. This has happened before... it's been a month since the last time I formatted this same partition and did the file transfer thing and it was fine until now, allowing me to add files with no errors.

I have a second 9000 Pro with the same hard drive, files and directory setup and it's never give me a problem. So my gut feeling is the drive is going out. They aren't expensive so I'll get another and swap it out to be safe. I appreciate the feedback.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online